From the opening of Porto Flavia in 1924, everything changed. Ores from Masua and nearby mines were transported via an electrified narrow-gauge railway inside the cliff, then loaded from wagons into large 1,000-ton silos, dug into the.
A system of conveyor belts, built in a tunnel under the silos then allowed the minerals to be transferred to the opening to the sea, where ships were positioned on which to load the material. This was an absolutely innovative method that saved a great deal of time.
Suffice it to say that what was loaded in a month thanks to the Porto Flavia system could be loaded in a few days.
The name of the Port was given by engineer Cesare Vecelli. The designer of the work wanted to name it after his daughter. The port remained operational until the 1960s.